St. Andrew and St Mary, Stoke Rochford

Stoke Rochford Church

Our church is situated between the edge of the village and the A1 with the main part of the parish on the West side and some outlying farms on the East side along with the village of Easton. These are traditional estate villages with Stoke Rochford belonging to the McCorquodale and Easton to the Cholmeley families. This is an agricultural area so the parish is widely spread and the residents are mainly retired or farming people with a small number who are self-employed or work locally. The population is around 200 people.

We have few local amenities but Stoke Rochford has a village post office. Easton is home to the Easton Walled Gardens which attract around 15000 visitors per annum and Stoke Rochford Hall is run as a hotel and conference centre. There is an 18 hole golf course and the hotel has a leisure centre including a swimming pool and gym.

Our church is partly Norman with parts from the 11th and 12th centuries and the North Chapel was added in the 15th century. Restoration work was carried out in 1846 and the church is in good condition and continually maintained as funds allow.

Services are mostly BCP Holy Communion with a small congregation. We have a number of weddings each year quite often linked to receptions taking place at Stoke Rochford Hall.

There is a strong connection with the Parachute Regiment and a commemorative service is held annually attended by members of 2 Parachute Club. This along with the Christingle service attended by the children and parents from Great Ponton C of E School, the Harvest Festival and the Carol Service are main events for the church.

Our church is a focus of much pride within Stoke Rochford and attracts financial support from people who don’t necessarily attend regularly.

 The interior of Stoke Rochford Church