St. James, Skillington

St James, Skillington

Skillington is a Conservation Village with a population of about 250 people. The village has a good mix of housing and retains a farming community together with young families, commuters and retired people.

Our Church is a Grade 1 listed building whose clergy can be traced back to the 11th Century. It is steeped in history and was at one time used as a "school" room for Isaac Newton.
It is a beautiful stone church with a 14th Century font and stonework. Ancient grave stones and monuments are present in the closed church yard for our many visitors to view.

There are 5 bells in the bell tower; reputed to be one of the most peeled 5 bells in the country. One bell was purchased by the Reverend Charles Hudson who was vicar at St James from 1859 to 1865. Hudson, a keen mountaineer, was sadly killed in an accident following the first successful ascent of the Matterhorn. There is a window in the Church to commemorate him and record this tragic event. A service is held each year in his memory to which his descendants are invited.

Our church is supported by an enthusiastic and resourceful PCC. We are tenacious fund raisers with a great sense of humour. Despite a dwindling number of villagers attending our services the PCC continue to demonstrate success in gaining funds and sourcing grants to repair and maintain this beautiful old church.

We engage with the Methodist Chapel, Village Hall and other local groups to advance a closer village community. The church cleaning and flower displays are all managed on a rota by the ladies of the village.

Our worship pattern is Holy Communion (Common Worship) on a monthly basis plus Carol, Easter, and Patronal Day services. There are a small number of weddings and baptisms that take place in the church for the families of residents both past and current.